About 3 weeks ago I had a major “OhmygodwehavesomuchtodoIdon’tevenknowwheretostart” panic attack.
I told my friend over at A Handmade Story that I was basically freaking out and since she did all of this last year she had some words of wisdom. Make a master to do list. I liked the idea, but I didn’t really know where to start. Enter Todoist.com
There’s a handy video to show you how to get started.
And get started I did. I think at the most I’ve had 110 things on my “To Do Before I Do” list. I’ve been crossing things off and adding more things in as I think of them. And right now I’m at about 70. The tags for the list are brilliant. I can essentially make sub-lists of “email” “visit” and “call” or “shopping” “rehearsal” and “ceremony.” I have assigned tasks to other people – but kept them on my list using tags like “mom” “boy” or “wparty.”
I’ve had a couple new subscribers lately that found me searching for wedding blogs, so for them I say – use todoist. The Knot, and Martha Stewart to do lists are good, but what I was finding as we get closer is there are 5 things that need to be done before I can cross off one thing from either of those checklists. I felt like I was spinning my wheels – doing all of this w-day stuff without getting to move forward in my list, very overwhelming.
But Todoist isn’t just for w-dayers. I have Todoist lists for “Around the House” “The Twenties Roar” and “Groceries.” Better yet, I’ve got an iPhone app for it so I can keep my Todoist list on my phone. Though I must say, the iPhone app could use some work – you can’t sort by the tags on the app. Boo.
Anyway, I thought I’d check in and say – I’m still here. I’m just up to my eyeballs in w-day. I’ve got some posts to come I just need some time to write them. Blogging time is coming up… I’ve added it on my to do list!
*FYI I have not been compensated in any way for my review of Todoist, I just came across it and think it's cool. So I thought I'd pass it along. If you find this post Todoist - feel free to compensate me - I won't mind.
Gym Day 3:
I still have a strained leg from my Circuit Training on day 2, but I hit the gym again today. The Boy recommended I do cardio today – get the heart rate up but be nice to the muscles (or lack there of).
So I hit the treadmill, plugged in my headphones and tapped my Get Running Couch to 5K App – Run 1.
This App is AWESOME! If you’re thinking about thinking about trying to run a little more. Or thinking about thinking about maybe being able to one day call yourself a “runner.” Or maybe you’re just thinking about maybe creating a gym routine that includes regular cardio. This app for you. And it’s definitely for you if you’re like me and are by no means a cardio person. DO NOT consider yourself anywhere near being a “runner.”
In fact, I feel like I’m going to die anytime I even THINK about running.
This App is a 9 week program to go from just like it says Couch to 5K. I started today with 8 1-minute runs separated by 1 1/2 minute walking breaks. 5 minutes to warm up and 5 minutes to cool down. I’ve tried walk-to-run programs before but they typically involve having a stopwatch and when I’m in charge of the stopwatch – I cheat.
There I said it. I’m a cheater.
But with the Couch to 5K App, (granted I’m only on Run 1) you can run your heart out to your tunes and a brilliant British chicky takes care of the stopwatch for you. Starting with 1 minute runs I was able to trick myself into thinking “I can do anything for 1 minute!” When you start thinking “Is it over yet?” British lady – I think I’m going to name her Charlotte says “30 seconds left and then you’re finished this run” and I thought – “I can keep this up for 30 seconds that’s nothing!” Finally when you think Charlotte you must have lost track of time she pipes up with “10 more seconds and you are finished with this run.” And I answer – “10 seconds? That’s it? That’s NOTHING!”
Finally, the best part. The BEST PART is Charlotte checks off your run as soon as you start. So in the very first seconds of run one – Charlotte says “Only 7 more runs to go after this one” and at run 5 “You’ll be half way to the finish in just 1 minute.” Thanks Charlotte!
So while I’m not yet confident that I’m going to be able to run 5K or 30 minutes straight in just 9 weeks – I like that Charlotte is encouraging the same way the crazy Circuit Training lady is. You know 5 more jumping jacks! And then after 4 she says “Just 5 more!”
It’s weird how it works… but I guess it’s because I’m just stubborn enough to fall for it.
Some random stuff for a Monday morning to get you through your case of the Mondays.
- The Boy and I headed to the L-dot this weekend to watch the Boy’s BFF Paul perform in his band The Mandates’ first official gig at Scot’s Corner. The Mandates were super awesome (like there was any doubt) and you’ll soon be able to find them on Facebook and then stalk them all over Southwestern Ontario. Everyone say, “Hi Paul!”
- I downloaded a new app – Instagram, as per The Pioneer Woman’s recomendation. It’s awesome and makes your iPhone photos look way better than cell-phone pictures typically do. Best part? It’s free!
- It’s freakin’ freezing here still and I for one am SICK OF IT! It’s March 28 and the weather report this morning told me it was -8C outside. Brutal! I think it’s extra frustrating because it’s been bright and sunny outside for the last few days, just freezing cold. I’m all for four seasons but winter – you’ve had a good run, now kindly move on.
- My lovely sista is in New Zealand right now for school. She is escorting 5 13-year-olds on a two week adventure conference. I was thinking about how strange it is when someone you don’t see daily is away. Usually she’s about an hour or so away, but right now she’s on the other side of the planet. Our interaction through the week remains the same – mostly email, so really nothing’s changed. But still, that’s far. I’m beginning to see why people find it unselttling.
- I finished our registry yesterday with the help of the Boy’s mom – aka FMIL (or Future Mother In Law – for those not so quick with the accronyms). The Boy stayed home. At first I was slightly annoyed with him for not putting on a happy face and participating. But while I was being educated about the different lines of soup ladels and small kitchen accessories I thought – the Boy is so smart, this would definitely have been a fight waiting to happen.
- The Boy and I are heading to Calgary later this week for my cousin’s wedding (Hi Cousin!) we’re thrilled to be able to go, but with all of this cold crap weather – I can’t help but wish we were going to Mexico.
- I wish I would learn to follow a knitting pattern instead of thinking I don’t need one. It would probably save me from knitting pretty much everything I do TWICE. Argh.
- Thanks everyone for your gym encouragement! It took until Saturday before I wasn’t wincing everytime I moved – as a result of circuit training. But by Saturday afternoon I was thinking – too bad we’re in London, I feel like going to the gym. Could this be the start of my becoming a gym rat?
- And finally, a little story about Ricky. Ricky was the stranger who came along and randomly sat down at our table while at Paul’s gig this weekend – I think it was the Boy’s friendly face. Ricky sat down with his Buffalo Bills sweatshirt and his backpack. At first he wouldn’t tell us what was in his backpack. Well not exactly, he told us it was a bomb.
We laughed cautiously.
What we learned from Ricky was that I have a really beautiful smile (he said while staring at my chest). He hit on our waitress, then checked out another one and told us that he really liked her bum. Then, “Meaghan, I’m sure you’ve got a nice bum too – why don’t you stand up and we’ll see.”
Umm… I DON’T THINK SO RICKY!
Here’s my question. Why do I seem to attract sketchy people? Is it the red hair? Is it my great… smile?
This isn’t my first experience with the sketchy-McSketchersons. I used to work in a social housing building and it was a daily occurance. The Boy said later he was impressed to watch me hold my own, and tell Ricky politely to screw off without triggering some kind of scene.
Ricky also told us he doesn’t hit on the waitress with the nice bum because she’s got a boyfriend. Given that we had already established that the Boy and I were engaged, the Boy had to ask – you said you won’t hit on the waitress because she’s got a boyfriend but you’re hitting on Meaghan and I’m right here.
Ricky changed the subject and told us all about how the Bills and the Oilers are the greatest teams of all time.
It’s fun making friends!