We’re in the less than 2 month mark. This means the following.
- Things are crazy busy
- I have a mini meltdown every few days
- I have written about 1000 thank you notes
- I am at once SUPER excited the big day is almost here and FREAKING OUT that the big day is almost here.
- I am reminded seemingly every weekend of how much love and support we have around us
But this post, has been brought to you by the number 2.
2 People (that’s us)
Let’s face it. I’m seriously slacking on the blog front. Part of it is because I’m a busy little bee on all the details. And the other part is that a lot of those details are surprises – so not great to blog about if I’d like to keep it that way. But because of the busy part I’ll give a quick recap of the beautiful showers that were thrown for me over the last two weekends.
First – my family. My mom has had showers for all of her family when they got married or had babies. Kind of comes with the territory when you’re the oldest of ten kids, but mostly it’s because she’s cool like that. Also when you’re the oldest in a big family you are generally called upon to represent that family, so Sista and I found ourselves all dolled up many a Sunday afternoon to attend yet another shower. With each and every one Mom would say, “One day it will be your turn, and they will all come for you.” Moms. What’s with them and always being right?
They did come, for the most part – it is the middle of summer after all. And we enjoyed one of the hottest days of the summer outside in the gorgeous sun…. until no one could take it any more and we headed back in to the glorious air conditioning. Heaven.
- Lots of help from my 2 fabulous little cousins with the opening of gifts. They were so efficient Sista and I could hardly keep up.
- Brownies made by my lovely little cousin Demi… who is not little at all anymore but the fact that she’s 16 makes me feel old so I just like to pretend.
- Catching up with the extended extended family – showers are a much better place to do this than funerals I find.
- Not crying during my thank you – is this a sign of things to come?
- The lovely chocolate inspired gift from one of my aunts that melted in the sun when we thought the party would stay outside. And my cousin Olivia (3) dripping in Hershey’s kisses that were not in fact just soft but COMPLETELY melted (when I told her she was dripping and put my hand under hers to catch the drips she dumped the whole thing in my hand… I would have just licked it off but it’s amazing how classy I can keep it when all eyes are on me)
- Cupcakes. Oh the cupcakes. Enough said.
Last weekend we went to beautiful downtown Thamesford, where you can find the Boy’s parent’s new house for shower #2 with the new family. The Boy’s mom or FMIL (Future Mother in Law – for those not familiar with the Bridal lingo) threw us a lovely shower with all of the ladies from the Boy’s family and “the community.” To be honest – because that’s what I’m about here whenever FMIL talks about “the community” it makes me think of the movie Hot Fuzz with the whacked out little village with the cult neighbourhood watch that go around killing everyone that does anything that makes “The Community” look bad and justify it all with “It’s for The Greater Good – the Grea
ter Good.” That may not make any sense at all to anyone else but it makes me laugh every time. ANYWAY, I met “the community” last weekend and they don’t seem cultish at all – and there was definitely no strange disappearances. (Seriously if you haven’t watched that movie you should – it’s awesome.)
- FSIL (Future Sister in Law for those that are a little slow) showing up 10 minutes before people were to arrive with unbrushed teeth and a hangover. She quickly got herself together and most never knew of the rough shape of her dehydrated brain – until now. What? It made me laugh!
- When I introduced my mom to everyone in the room (most of whom I had just met) and I skipped over one lady to try to buy myself some time my mom said – “Meaghan you missed her!” Thanks mom way to point out my not so subtle effort. (It was actually fine and I was going in the order that they came in to help my overtaxed memory – I don’t think I offended anyone)
- Meeting members of the Boy’s family who are huggers! My family is slowly converting the Boys immediate family into huggers (they mostly high-five and fist bump) so when the extended family, who I had just met went to hug me I almost didn’t know what to do with myself!
- All of the good country wife swag. I don’t mind since I love to bake and cook but I thought it was really funny just how much of that stuff we got in one shower – complete with an angel bell – to call him for dinner I assume? Got to keep that man happy and full after all! 🙂
- The 365 Vegetarian Meals cookbook from the Boy’s Grandma. I knew she was on my side!
- The conversation that followed about how I will never be able to make my farm boy a vegetarian (for the record I brought chicken home last night and the Boy said, “Meat? What’s going on here? I thought you wanted to eat more vegetarian?” Love him!)
Yes all in all it was a whirlwind of not just one weekend but TWO! The Boy was thrilled that they were both girls only showers and his role in wedding celebrations both weekends involved golfing. Oh! And I didn’t cry during my thank you at the second shower either – I’m telling you I’ve got this under control!
I still didn’t remember to take pictures. Blast.
Follow me on Twitter today and you might just get a surprise… I’m off for fitting number 1 tonight!
- We’re Havin’ a Party! (gingerandgiant.wordpress.com)
- Showered with Love (gingerandgiant.wordpress.com)